Saturday, August 23, 2008

Tragic Happenings

This is Todd. A tragedy has struck my local little hometown of Cedar. There was a plane crash just outside of Moab Friday night that killed all 9 people on the plane. It was filled with Cedar City-ites that were in Southeastern Utah on a business trip. They were from a Cedar Dermatologists office. Dr. Ellsworth had a couple of kids around my age and my friends and I hung around with Marie, his daughter quite a bit so I got to know her whole family while I was in High School because they were gracious enough to let us hang out and be rowdy until midnight or so. Obviously contact with them has been non-existent since then but this whole thing has taken me by surprise. Marie's dad (Dr. Ellsworth) and her little brother, Dallin (24, newly married with a baby due in one month) both died in the accident.

It has kind of shocked the city, because everybody had ties to somebody that was involved. The most amazing thing to me is my friend Marie. She wrote a post on her blogspot today that was very moving. She has a great attitude towards it with the gospel as her inspiration. She is keeping an eternal perspective through this whole ordeal and just asks for everyone to keep her family and the families of those involved in our prayers.

It has made me think a little bit about how lucky I am. I can't imagine how Dallin's wife must feel, who just lost her husband and father of their future child. Or the entire family who lost a husband, father, and a successful doctor who has done nothing but give back to the community through extreme donations of time and money. It would be so hard to lose something so cherished. I can't even begin to imagine. The amazing attitude that Marie and her family have are so inspiring to me.

Depressing, I know, but times like these are good for me to stop and think about what is really important to me. My amazing wife, my October baby girl, my awesome family(including Susie's side too of course!). I'm very happy and blessed to be where I am in life right now. Families truly are forever and I am so glad that is the case. It's just the truth.

1 comment:

Laurel said...

Todd thank you for your testimony. We have been having a hard time as well, especially my mom. We are so saddened, but know that the gospel is true and that families can be together forever. I appreciate all you said. Miss you all and can't wait to see pictures of your sweet little baby.